Sunday, June 4, 2017

OVERDRIVE- KHDK Dark Blood Distortion ....small box, big band,big SOUND

KHDK Dark Blood Distortion

$230.00 USD

Nothing new but the box?
Ok a little cynical. LOL
It really is a very good high gain pedal. One would assume this by the Kirk Hammett/Metallica
association that a metal sound is a given.

Is it the best??? Well some think so.

Different players have small but different demands. Some players want a lot of control for a music that is played a break neck speed and a tone that by nature works better with the old chugging along styles that started with Sabbath when it more about the weight of the sound then a defined click of the pick on every note.
Metallica were about pop as much as metal.
Control means thinning out the sound to keep it tight.
So with the pop element this pedal has been held tight on the reigns.
I feel all of these pedals have picked a compromise between tight or fat.
For fat nothing beats the Goosesonque Kult.
For tight there are dozens ...all with some compromise.


I think the Dark blood has hit the middle zone dead on.


The size is a nice feature but Metal players unlike other high gain users are not too worried about turning off the pedal and switching to something with a lower gain.
They may use some lighter sounds but having a lot of space saved for
a Klon and a Timmy is not an issue.  
In short a large metal pedal will always have a home.





The sweet spot for selling gourmet pedals is $200.00 USD ...I think the high end of that is about $225.00 USD. The low is about $175.00 USD  So at $230.00 USD it should do OK.



In this price range there are a lot more 'Brown Sound' pedals then serious Metal jobbies.
So it is nice at this price to have some decent choices.

 

The Metallica thing may be as good as it is bad...many players consider them a sell out pop band.
Others see them as the elder statesmen of Metal...and still others see their music as dated and perhaps the pedal itself has a dated sound. The pedal is quite good and no one cared that Les Paul played pop jazz...they bought the guitar anyway and pioneered the sound of Metal with it.

So in short it is worth a listen.


I got to admit it...the more I listen to it the more I like it!!!

I have been working my pedals into a lot of new tunes I have written. I am also doing a lot of practising on my own and with the band. I am getting a good grasp on what works for me and what does not. My music has a lot early Metal thinking in my writing, For the most part I use and prefer Marshall voiced pedals of which I have several. 
I have tried a few Metal pedals and they were primarily designed for a totally commited modern style Metal player who plays with both the gain to the point of self feedback and the level pushed well past unity. In fact the majority of metal pedals do not respond well unless run on the edge.
I run my set up with everything on unity gain and bring a pedal in for just a minute at a time in a song then off to another pedal. In short I can not use a pedal with a hair trigger nor can I deal with the noise floor and feedback by backing off  the guitar volume. I need a quite well behaved pedal.
This is the only one I've found. It covers everything from an overdriven Plexi. to a modern high gain pedal that borders on fuzz. Best of all it gives you that wall of sound without bordering on squealing feedback
Using it with a 
.

So I ordered one. Oddly enough there are are very few dealers. Sam Ash are the only well known name. Sweetwater does not have them. The bricks and motor stores do not have them even Anderton's and the other bigger Brit stores do not have them. They are made in Prague in the Czech Republic so I guess I should not be completely surprised.

Using it with the Hotone X TOMP mini with the Marshal 1960a cab patch should make a massive sound. Something I get now only from my Sovtek Muff pedal.I look forward to my new toy!



OK I HAVE MY PEDAL!!!

The first thing you notice is the finish is quite good. The pedal is solid and well made. The knobs have a firm smooth feel. I love the chicken head knobs with their funky old style look. They are the eadsiest of all knobs to see your settings at a distance.
So how does it sound. Well to nbe fair it sound just like the demo. I know I went on and on about most of the popular Meatal pedals in the past were made for and primarily sold to guys tha only play metal.This is not what I wanted. But in spite of that i was expecting a pedal which needed at least some pull back on the reins. To me this allows the pedal to pickup a little feedback from my amp.
Alas be careful what you wish for! This pedal is in complete control. Newcomers will love it. You will not have to learn the many tricks needed to contain it. I am sure it will work ourt well how I intend to use it.

There is one thing though that I was pleasantly very surprised with. Nearly all Metal pedals no matter how well they work usually have a very abrasive tone. Many border very,very close to a Fuzz.
But this pedal has a very rich tone yet still stays aggressive.
The tone won me over. If it were not for the great rich tone i might well have soon sold it.


SO?
If you are looking for a classic sounding Metal pedal with great tone that is as easy to control as an average mid gain OD ...this is it.
If you are looking for a tear your face off sound that frightens small children then NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment