Saturday, January 27, 2018

MARSHALL ORIGIN SERIES- ...NEW !!! ...REAL PLEXI AMPS ...gotta have one!!

 MARSHALL AMPS ???? THIS IS A PEDAL BLOG???? 

MARSHALL ORIGIN 50H 
50 Watt Head
$650.00 USD
Well the winter NAMM show is on any great new 'anything' shows up here first. Now ...if you are like me your fav OD is voiced to be MARSHALL. If you are a into the cutting edge Pedal thing you may be looking for a compact amp with a great clean sound for your pedals. The Origin series has a 5w combo, a 20 w combo and a 50w combo.The 20 and 50 also come as a head.
I for one was drooling over the 50 watt!!!
The Marshall Origin 50H.
The price is reasonable!
you can get it as a combo or head.



I prefer a combo with my own cab. For one thing I can keep my prize free from dings and marks that way.
In a perfect world I would love to see it offered in a 'lunch box' casing too.
Basically the amp is a Plexi ...trust me I owned a 50 watt Plexi head for years this sucker has nailed it.
So! How cool is that ?????????

MARCH 8/18 ....NEW VIDEO from Andertons


Go to 19:40... WOW ...I had a 50 watt Plexi in the 70's
and this thing has it nailed. I am expecting to get the Orgin 50 head any day now.


A beautiful demo with just a Les Paul and the amp that shows the total range of usable sounds. No pedals ...no overkill but nothing to take away its basic assertive tone.

This is just too perfect. Why would you need better? Is there a better choice or is it only a different choice??? I have said it many times 40 to 50 watt amps are 'gold' the only guy in a band that can not alter the db they put out is the drummer. In the real world you either do not mic up the backline or you mic up everyone. With a 40 to 50 watt amp you can crank it up to the 'right' tone and not drowned out or be drowned out. PLUS it is even switchable to two lower power settings without f...ing with the tone!!!
 YES you get 10 watt and a 1 watt setting without loosing the sound. At 1 watt you can kick on the boost (it is just for punch not for gain) to bring up the lows to better match playing on 50 watts.

Finally the damn thing will have a resale desirability equivalent to a Gibson LP.
How's that for assurance/insurance!!!


 An Original 50 Watt 60's Plexi and the new Origin Plexi 



 
Marshall OR150H
Only one minor quibble. They should have put the thin gold piping across the front under the logo.



 May 4, 2018 

The amp arrived! 
To the point ...I had to pull out my other and clear out an area
to hook it up to my Celestion Neo Creamback 12cab.
I turned on my board and quickly killed any pedals that were on.
I looked at all my guitars deciding which one to try. I quickly 
said to myself "What am I thinking about???" as I grabbed my Les Paul. "dah!" LOL
I switched on my amp. DEAD??? Oh...all the knobs are on zero
So I turn every one up to about 2. I hit a chord. WOW!!!!
It sounded fabulous!!! Perfect? No I had not hit on a lucky setting.
The bottom line.... the amp sounds great no mater how you set it up!!! Sure I soon gave it a few tweaks but I spend seconds on it.
I am sure I will eventually find that anal retentive just right sound. BUT...as I said the amp is 'IT' 
I am sure if I had a selection of all the big high end gourmet
amps I could find a great sound in all of them.
BUT... would they sound better. NO! They would sound different.
The Marshall Origin 50 is a PLEXI. The PLEXI was never broken yet everyone starts with its schematic then tries to fix it.

I have NEVER used the neck PU in my Les Paul ...it is a Soap Bar... it is harsh and nasty. Thru the PLEXI it is phenominal.
Nasty ...yes! But what a 'nice' nasty it is!

OCT.15/18
          new demo-


______________________________________________________

ORIGIN 50 H REVISITED ( NOV. 2019)
So the amp has been around awhile and any purist will want to know where it stands.

A. It is a basic 1987x ...50 watt. In fact knowledgeable repair guys can use the same                     schematic for basic trouble shooting. The phase inverter is tube. In short this is in no way       a hybrid amp. It is totally Plexi!!!
B. The output/db is the same with both amps.
C. The sound is slightly cleaner and smoother. This part I find fascinating because the 1987x was put down when it came out because it was 'modernized' with a bit more grit.
In short this makes the Origin MORE Plexi then the 1987x ...LOL.

Marshall new that at least half it's buyers would EXPECT the few little changes they made because they were not even born when these amps were first designed. The changes are a given on a modern amp. 
They also new the basic circuit had to be raw ...modern improvements would be considered radioactive. lol
The purist would be attacking it for the smallest change both real and imagined. It could not be 'improved' with a bit of high tech. It is truer to a basic Plexi design then the 1987x.
Considering what a fine line to walk ...Marshall did a bitch job.

A lot of guys that are in cover bands or tribute bands have scooped them up. The feedback is that they do a great job, and are even more reliable then the 1987x which many of these guys already owned. As a pedal platform the Origin works better as you can get it cleaner with a bit more headroom than the 1987x.

As for me I had a volume drop that came and went over a few weeks. I swapped out the tubes and it was instantly gone. So except for one tube ...I have a used set of perfectly usable tubes for backup. Having the amp serviced and the one bad tube changed would have cost me half the price of a whole new set of tubes. 
When I get some time I will find the one bad tube I have and replace it. At a gig swapping the whole set is much faster than trouble shooting.

The vibe is that a great speaker match is the celestion M65 Creamback. I personally use a neo Creamback 60 watt. It is just slightly brighter but it is half the weight. I like setting my tone darker for more desensity in the sound and the speaker compensates so it never gets  muddy.
I get a fat full sound that neither the bass or the drum kit seem to compete with. Cut is never an issue. I have a power trio!

SUMMARY
No beefs at all! I love the sound and feel. I have no desire to replace this amp.
In my book it gets a 10 out of 10. It meets my expectations but does not exceed them!!!
Even if it were totally destroyed it would not be totally devastating to replace it with a new one.


No comments:

Post a Comment